Join Our Mailing List!
Tip Sheets for Parents: Reading to Children
Reading to children is the most important thing parents can do to ensure success in school. According to “Reading Tips for Parents” from the U.S. Department of Education, there are many things you can do to start children reading.
Get Ready To Read
- Point out printed words you see anyplace you go.
- Bring along children's books and writing materials whenever you leave home.
- Create quiet, special times and spaces for reading to children.
- Show children the importance of reading by reading books, newspapers, and magazines.
- Turn off the TV and cuddle with your child and a good book.
- Take your child to the library to pick out favorite books.
Create Strong Readers
- Take time to read every day.
- With large-print books, point to the words as you read.
- Read a favorite book over and over again.
- Read books with rhyming words and lines that repeat.
- Discuss new words.
- Stop and ask about the pictures and what's happening in the story.
- Read a variety of children's books—fairy tales, song books, poems, and non-fiction.
Courtesy of Building Blocks for a Healthy Future. www.bblocks.samhsa.gov